top_header_thing_3

Red Vines® Black Licorice is Back!

By jdempsey on October 25, 2012 | Category: News | 114 Comments

Dear Red Vines® Consumers,

We are happy to share that Red Vines® Family Mix and Red Vines® Black Licorice Twist items began shipping to retailers on October 22nd and will be available on the shelves of your favorite stores in mid- to-late November.  We are planning for Snaps® to be back on shelves later this year.

Since initiating the recall in August we’ve worked closely with the FDA, significantly increasing the depth and frequency of our internal quality testing, tightening our standards with ingredient suppliers and launching an extensive internal investigation of ingredients, equipment, and finished products.

As a result of the investigation, the FDA has classified the recall as a Class II, meaning that the probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote, and initial health hazard evaluations for Red Vines® Black Licorice and Snaps® found that health risks from consuming black licorice with slightly elevated levels of lead are negligible.

You can learn about the FDA’s recall classification system at the link below:

We greatly appreciate your support for our company and products over the years and deeply value your loyalty.  We will continue our dedication to making delicious candy with a goal of always being better tomorrow than we are today.

Best,

American Licorice Company

114 Responses to “Red Vines® Black Licorice is Back!”

1. October 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm

The sooner the better! Please get the black licorice back on the shelves. Also the name Red Vines really screws up the people ordering product and they don’t always have the black but usually have the red (which I do not like).

2. October 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm

O.k when is the black licorice back..it the only brand I eat and I’m missing it?

3. October 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Yea! Thank you so much for the update!! I’ll be looking forward to Snaps!!

4. October 26, 2012 at 4:27 am

This is great news, but it still doesn’t answer the original question/problem I have had since before the recall. In my area, every store carries Red Vine RED but only Walmart, which stopped this summer, and Walgreen, which stopped right before the recall, carried Red Vine BLACK. How do we fans of the black buy it when the retailers won’t stock it? Is there a way to order from the company without being charged exorbitant prices and shipping charges? (similar prices to what you would pay in the stores, which includes shipping)? Please answer. Other emails I’ve sent have gone unanswered. Thank you. (my zip is 48706)

5. October 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

There is a health risk to NOT having Red Vine black licorice for all this time!! The cravings are a burden!

Fortunately, the recall led me to discover that I am not the only Red Vine black licorice fanatic. I thought maybe my near weekly consumption was abnormal.

Clearly not!

Phew!

6. October 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I have Snaps with Best Before 0220130 2 and wonder if they are okay to eat. I purchased at a Walgreen store this week. 10/26. Thanks

• October 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Hi Lin – All Snaps product had been recalled. Snaps has not been re-released back on shelves as of yet, so we recommend that you do not consume the bag of Snaps and return it to Walgreen’s for a full refund. Thanks.

7. October 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I figured it was some government actions for the reason for not having red vine black on the shelves of stores. Yep, if someone had eaten 2000 pounds of licorce in a twenty four hour period they may have gotten a stomach ache, and a well deserved one. Shouldn’t have stopped the rest of us from enjoying it though. Thanks Uncle Sam once again for screwing it up.

• November 1, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hi Samuel – Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We’re working with retailers to get our Black Licorice back into the hands of licorice lovers across the country as quickly as possible. Thanks!

8. October 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thank you so much for letting us know that we can look for
    Red Vines black on the shelves once again. I am so happy.
    How about some discount coupons for those of us that have gone without for the last couple of months.

• February 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I suggest you keep writing in about the black licorice. All of my attempts are ignored, In my town Walgreens stopped stocking it after the recall.

9. October 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Will Walmart be carring black licorice as they did before the recall?

10. October 29, 2012 at 12:20 am

I WANT MY SNAPS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel ridiculous whinning but I agree with the others, I am very glad to see that I am not te only addict and I can also find my snaps only at Walgreens and Walmart and I think some coupons would be nice at this point.

11. October 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thank goodness!!! I was worried for a moment. I was going nuts looking for another brand to satisfy my needs but nothing compares to Red Vines Black.
    It is about time.. I was about to drive up to your plant and make some noise.

12. October 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

Do you have a date that Snaps will be back in the store?
    Do you plan on sending out some cupons to those that have written you with concerns?

• October 29, 2012 at 11:46 am

Why is snaps the last to come back, was it worse off than the others?
      What was the sorce of the lead problem?

13. October 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

FYI. Glad Snaps will be back soon .

I was a quality control chemist at a major supplier of personal products. When a quality issue arose, the source turned out to be a quality control chemist’s testing procedure and report of results that effected the manufacture of product. Fortunately, the company had pre-, mid-, and post quality testing procedures that caught the problem internally.

I appreciate American Licorice’s communications on the voluntary recall. I’m delightful that Snaps will be back SOON!

14. October 29, 2012 at 7:04 pm

PTL the black licorice will be back on Fred Meyer’s shelves. I had just run out when FM had a sale on the 4# containers but had already pulled them. I got a rain check but doubt it will still be valid in mid November. I’m looking forward to the return!

15. October 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

why should california be so concerned about my snaps, gosh have you ever tried to drink their water….ugh

16. October 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hey where are the black licorice bars?
    where are the black licorice bars

• November 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi Bill – Our Black Licorice product is on its way back to the stores at which you purchased them before the recall. Depending upon the retailer, Black Licorice should be back on store shelves within 1-4 weeks. Thanks!

17. October 31, 2012 at 2:29 pm

When can I buy the Red Vines 4 lb black licorice product in Columbus Ohio? Closes zip is 43201.

• November 1, 2012 at 11:56 am

CVS, Walgreen’s, and Kroger are all good places to look for Black Licorice when it returns to shelves. Depending on the retailer, I’m guessing our Black Licorice will be available again in your area within 1-4 weeks. Thanks!

• February 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I am told by your company that black licorice is sold by Walgreen’s, CVS, and Wall-Mart in my area. This is not true. CVS and Wal-Mart never did stock it. Walgreen’s stopped after the recall. Furthermore your company refuses to tell me who stocks your black licorice within a 50 mile radius of my location

18. November 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm

So glad to hear black licorice will be back. My family is very unhappy when they visit and there is no black licorice! How soon will it be in Covina or Azusa, CA?

• November 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hopefully by the end of the calendar year, Carolyn. Thanks.

• February 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm

19. November 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I can’t wait to get some snaps! This is torture!!!

20. November 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thank you so much for letting us know that our cravings for your black licorice will soon be met again! Your licorice is the old-fashioned kind made with molasses, which is why it is so good, compared to other US brands that taste like black plastic tubing!
    I have never understood why black licorice, the only true licorice, is labeled Red Vines. “Red licorice” is not licorice! It’s just cherry or strawberry flavored candy.
    I am 63 yrs. old and have eaten American Licorice Co. black licorice and snaps since I was a year old. That’s a lot of licorice! I remember those little black licorice pipes and 4″ sticks of solid licorice, and I miss them.
    Thanks for keeping your great product on the shelves. I hope your company lives on forever.

• November 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Judy,

Your message made me smile!!!

I am SO craving my black licorice too!

• February 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm

21. November 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Found some black licorice. Very dissapointing. They added more licorice flavor. Not good. Coke tried the same thing some years back. Please go back to the original formula!

• November 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thanks for the feedback, Jack. We’ll pass along to our development team. Cheers.

• November 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I agree. I just bought the 1 pound bag and was so excited to come home and eat it! However, the licorice was the same size as it is in the boxes, which is slightly smaller than it used to be in the 1 pound bag. The consistency just isn’t the same. I also agree with the opinion above…please go back to original (without the lead of course :). Maybe if I leave the bag open for a week it’ll toughen up…

22. November 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Albertson’s in Poulsbo,Wa have the Black 5oz tray on their shelves!! Also,they still have the RECALL notice at well . This caused me some concerning confusion,as there was NO other info at the display area !
    It would be helpful if retailers ALSO posted the exact products being recalled,and any action taken to remedy the problems of TOO MUCH LEAD in the food chain .

23. November 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I found a one pound package of black with an expire dayt of 2 17 13. Is this part of the recall or is it ok to consume?

• November 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi Margie – Yes, that package is a part of the recall. While the potential for negative physical effects is slim, we don’t recommend eating it. You should be able to return it to the retailer for a full refund. Thanks.

24. November 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

Im glad so many people are in love with the product to the point of not caring about it having lead contamination but I for one would like the details & source not just some white washed press release.

25. November 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Bring back snaps! The sooner the better. I have been eating these since childhood and I love them. I even search online and drive to specific stores to find them. Please, Please, bring them back soon!

26. November 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Congratulations, you have the best black licorice!
    Nothing out there that’s comparable.

27. November 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

been eating your black licorice for over 50 years I’m still very healthy. Please continue with the same formula. Thanks for a great product. Can’t eat that waxy stuff.

• November 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for the support, Steve. We’re working hard to continue to produce the delicious licorice product you know and love.

28. November 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Were can we purchase black licorice? I can’t seem to find it since Walgreens quite stocking the item.

• November 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Our Black Licorice will be available in the majority of stores that used to carry it before the recall by the end of the year. Please stay tuned. Thanks.

• November 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

END OF THE YEAR!? OMG!! YOU SAIS ON 11/1 ” 1 TO 4 WEEKS”
        WHat happened? so sick of havint to eat the “twister” product!

• February 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm

29. November 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Really missing Snaps. The have been my absolute favorite and I am going through Snaps withdrawal. Happy to see they will be back soon. Hope to see some snaps in my stocking at the holidays.

30. November 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Aaaargh! All the local stores still have big EMPTY Red Vines Black shelves! And “Those Other Licorice Guys” have added more (ugh!) Red stuff! Shame on (National Grocery Chain)!

“Bring back the Black!” Leaded or Un-leaded!

Can I order direct from the factory?

Thanks!

Blaine

• November 12, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hi Blaine – We are working hard to get our Black Licorice back onto shelves. Keep looking as it may take until the end of this year for the Black to be back on shelves at all stores. We don’t sell any black licorice directly consumers quite yet, but you can check out amazon.com to order online. Thanks!

• November 24, 2012 at 5:29 am

I continue to check at Amazon.com; however, as of 24 November, they do not list black licorice…excepting the exorbitant sugar free version. Also, please update the above page to reflect this product may not be available until next year or at least Christmas.

• February 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm

You say the end of 2012. It is now Feb. of 2013, no black licorice. It appears to me American Licorice is being dumped big time.

31. November 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Really missing my snaps! Hope to be able to order some soon – going on over 6 weeks without any! And usually eat a couple of theatre size boxes a week. Can’t wait!

32. November 15, 2012 at 7:18 am

Love licorice, have tried every brand, none can compare with the Black Red Vine licorice. For my taste, bag left open for days gives a better satisfaction, the drier the better. Please do not stop having this available, my favorite sweet.

33. November 16, 2012 at 6:42 am

Come on now I am going through a Snaps withdrawl. I get the shakes, can’t sleep, losing my hair. Please help and get Snaps back to the market (or send me some)……………

34. November 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

HURRY My husband is having a major SNAPS withdrawal.
    It’s his daily lunch for work. At least 1 bag a day.Thank you

35. November 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

When I do my weekly shopping, I check the candy aisle to see if my Red Wines black licorice is back. Today was the day! They’re back!!!!!! Needless to say, I have a lot to catch up on so I bought a few packages. There were not many on the shelves, though. I think licorice lovers already raided the supply. Make more.

36. November 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Like everyone else – I am going through withdrawals! 50+ years ago my dad would bring red vines (black and red) home in a paper bag!!!

It has been a part of my entire life! When I first moved to Texas I could not find ref vines. So my dad would ship some.

My dad is gone now – but these small memories keep him close!

All to say – has anyone found the black available online yet? I didn’t find them at Amazon.

37. November 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Great to have you back! Any coupons for us long time fans?

38. November 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

I hope you haven’t had to change the taste of the black vine because that would be devastating. I’m looking forward to getting some at the end of the year. Would be nice if there’s a great movie coming out at the same time so I can chomp chomp…..lol

39. November 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I want my Red Vines black licorice, When back at Walgreen’s??

40. November 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Yeah! I did not know about the recall, I just knew I could not find red vines black anymore. I thought it just left our area, so whenever I traveled out of our area I checked different stores in different states. I’m glad to hear it will be back and like everyone else I’m glad to know I’m not the only one craving red vines black.

41. November 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

I live in Janesville WI.

I CANNOT FIND YOUR BRAND OF BLACK LICORICE at all.
    WHATs up with this?

• November 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi David – Our black licorice is on its way back to store shelves and should be available at most locations by the end of the calendar year. Thanks for your patience and support!

42. November 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

b est news i have heard in months. all other black licorice is tasteless. thanks for the update

43. November 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Please, bring back the black as it was my favourite candy.

44. November 28, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thank you so much for letting us know that our cravings for your black licorice will soon be met again! Other brands that taste like black plastic tubing!
    I have never understood why any candy that is not black licorice, the only true licorice, is labeled “licorice”! It’s just cherry or strawberry flavored candy.
    I am 65 yrs. old and have prefered American Licorice Co. black licorice and SNAPS. That’s a lot of licorice! I remember those little black licorice pipes, too, and I miss them. I have taught the next generation in my family to love your black licorice.

Nowadays I just cannot stomach the pink SNAPS. May I suggest that you sell the colors separately? Thanks
    I hope you issue coupons to loyal fans like me.
    Love you

45. November 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I concur with the other comments on this page: Miss SNAPS, going through withdrawal, want to know more details about the recall, original recipe is best. Where are the stores in and near Orlando that sell bulk candies? I have purchased 25 lbs. of bulk, and froze into quart-sized baggies. A bag of frozen or stale candy softens nicely in the microwave for about 5-10 secs.
    My suggestions are:
    Please sell in separate colors.
    PLease use re-sealable bags or containers
    Thanks again

46. December 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Sounds like life is going to better very soon because licorice is on it’s way. I’ve been waiting a long time, I don’t eat that other stuff just Red Vines Black.

47. December 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Please Please when will Snaps be back on the shelves in Naperville,illinois??????? Major withdrawal in progress- please bring my Snaps back!

48. December 5, 2012 at 10:34 am

Please, Please send the black licorice to the Madison, WI area soon.

49. December 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The Licorice Red vines have arrived this afternoon and they are WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU

50. December 6, 2012 at 10:05 am

I am happy to say after eating 4 bags before hearing about the recall, I am still here! Still checking the store every time I go to see when my Snaps will be back. I’m a true fan and willing to risk a little lead!!!

51. December 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

sir/maam:
    Will be 2/31/12 dedline be met/
    will we know what the issues was?
    I hooked up the remodeler and the tub guy. will we know what measures you took?
    Thansk for your time and
    Richard Cram
    248.506.7255

• December 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Sir/Maam,
      I am sorry about my last email.Please delete it if you can.
      I was questioning whether or not the 12/31/2012 date for Snaps to return back to the store shelfs will be kept? I also was wondering if we the public will know why snaps were recalled? Last but not least, will we know what ALC did to solve the issue?
      Thanks
      Richard Cram
      248.506.7255

• December 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Sir/Maam,
      Please delete this submittal dated Dec 6th, 2012 at 1:34pm.
      Thanks
      Richard Cram

52. December 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

All this time I thought I was weird, because the only black twists I like are the Red Vine brand. Who knew that there is a whole fan club out there?! I feel validated :) and will start looking for my fix at Kroger’s immediately.

53. December 11, 2012 at 3:49 am

So when exactly will black licorice be back on the shelves. What stores carry it? The only place I used to get it was Walgreens. I was in there (Dec 13) & they said they had no idea. They had not gotten any message that it had come off recall. Please hurry. My daughter & I are in withdrawel. Thanks. Bev

• December 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Bev – I’ll pass along your message to our distribution team. Sometimes the timing back to shelf can vary depending on retailer and the location of the store. Hang in there. Thanks!

54. December 11, 2012 at 7:46 am

I was told the black licorice would be back in December. December is here and there’s no black. When will black be back?

• December 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hi Don – Thanks for your patience. Return time to shelves can vary depending upon the retailer and the location of the stores. We’re hopeful most retailers will begin to carry our black licorice by the end of this year. Thanks!

• January 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Jdempsey, I seem to remember this statement being made before only it was by October then, is it safe to say that we will NOT be seeing the black licorice for quite some time? Today’s date is 01/08/2013 and I still don’t have any in my area……is there somewhere online that I can order some? I have been jonesing for a while now and I’m ready to get my black licorice groove on…..ha ha ha.

• January 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi Ede – We appreciate your patience. Snaps should be back on shelves in your area soon. Unfortunately we cannot impact how quickly some retailers get the product back on their shelves once we ship it to their warehouses. There aren’t any sites to purchase online at the moment, but should be back on Amazon.com soon. Thanks!

• February 27, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hi Don – We apologize for the inconvenience. Send us an email at consumerfeedback@amerlic.com so we can get a little more information and we’ll help in any way we can. Thanks.

55. December 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Can we please get the real reason there was lead found in the licorice? We still have no explanation!

56. December 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm

When will we see a great black licorice back . I keep checking the stores?

57. January 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Gentleman Its seems all the retailers you list as a source for Red Vines black licorice are still not carry the product. Does this mean you can`t supply or or they will not restock there stores? Those locations that still stock the red Walgreens and CVS seem to be most likely to get the black licorice. Walmart looks like they have moved on. Still hungrey in Saint Cloud. John Hermann

58. January 9, 2013 at 9:23 am

Hello What is happening with your product,we still don`t have any black licorice in Saint Cloud,Florida. It seems the stores you once had it in are carrying your products.Will we see it in the near future,still hungry. John Hermann

59. January 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

hi
    January 15, 2012
    I too am wondering when it will be back in the stores & what store I might get it at. I was in to our Walgreens & they said they would not be carring the black even though they to have the red. Please help with a reply. The Wal-Mart store here quit carry any of redvine prodocts long before the recall.
    thanks Bev

60. January 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Dis-appointed in Arizona that’s it’s taking so long for the Snaps to get back on the Shelves in the stores here that carry them. Worst part, I have called corporate and they have no answer other than its taking longer than figured. I have tried finding out where in the Phoenix area they have been shipped but no answer….Can you give me a better in-site. Your distribution center has to have a warehouse to ship them to and the companies that are getting them…Then I can bug their corporate offices on why they aren’t on the shelves!!

61. February 2, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hi,
    I was thrilled to find some snaps in another city. I bought several bags. The best by dates are all 4/26/13. Can you tell me if they were part of the recall or new after the recall. Thanks!

62. March 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I think your Black is the best tasting licorice available. Red is nothing but candy and should not even be called licorice since it has no licorice in its ingredients.
    I cannot get the plain Black at Rite Aid in Plaistow,NH although they carry sugar free Black(which can cause diarhea) and the Red and the Family Mix. Please see to it that they again carry the plain Black. Thank you

63. March 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Our Walgreen’s Bay Village, OH, , still doesn’t have your black licorice, since the recall. I found some at B.A. Sweetie Candy Co . in Brookpark OH. It was so HARD and didn’t tasted as good as it used to. I am trying to return it, since I bought almost $15 worth, and can’t chew it. I may have to call American Express to stop payment. When will the licorice be good and be and at many stores, please?. I miss it.

64. March 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I was so excited to see SNAPS in our local Walgreens today that I bought 4 bags. Now I’m regretting it, because they’ve changed the recipe. There’s some bitter taste now, maybe in the dye? Guess it was the lead that tasted so good?

65. April 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

I just recently bought 2 bags from Walgreens and it seems as if the recipe has changed